PPV INSURANCE WITH AUTOSMART
PPV insurance, or public passenger vehicle insurance, is a type of policy designed to protect both you and your passengers in the event of an accident. PPV insurance with AutoSmart helps keep you and your passengers safeguarded in the event of:
- Collision recovery.
- Bodily injury.
- Property damage.
- Manslaughter legal fees.
What types of Vehicles Are Eligible for PPV Insurance
PPV insurance policies apply to a specific set of passenger vehicles. Any vehicle that could be considered a passenger vehicle used to transport passengers may be eligible for PPV insurance coverage with AutoSmart. This includes:
- Route taxis: These 10-seat or less passenger vehicles carry riders along a designated route, making drop-offs and pick-ups along the way. License fee: $25,000.
- Hackney carriages: A vehicle for hire that transports no more than three passengers travelling together on thoroughfares or areas frequented by the public.
- Stage carriages: Like buses, stage carriages have seats for no fewer than 11 passengers, each of which pays their own fare, and travels along a designated route. These vehicles stop at “stages” along the way to drop off and pick up new passengers.
- Contract carriages: Used for carrying passengers under an expressed or implied contract for using the whole vehicle at an agreed price.
- Express carriages: These vehicles must provide seating for no fewer than 11 passengers, each of whom pays their own fare. Express carriages travel between multiple points to one or more destinations specified in advance.
PPVs are identifiable by their distinctive red license plates, which quickly signal to authorities that they’re legally authorized to carry passengers, so long as they follow stipulated guidelines and laws.
Each type of public passenger vehicle requires its own new license or license renewal fee that lasts for a designated period of time, after which it must be renewed. For information on PPV licensing, visit the Transport Authority website.
Requirements to Apply for a PPV License in Jamaica
To obtain a PPV license in Jamaica, drivers must be 21 years of age or older and complete an application form with the Transport Authority. The form can be filled out online or in person at any TA location across the country.
When submitting your application, you’ll be required to include:
- Registration Certificate.
- Certificate of Fitness.
- Insurance Certificate/Cover Note.
- Proof of address.
- A copy of owner(s) Identification (Driver’s Licence/National Identification/Passport).
- Owner’s Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN).
- Original Road Licence.
- Police Certificate (Police Record).
Submitting a PPV Insurance Claim Online
Filing a claim online is easy with AutoSmart Insurance. Simply fill out a short form detailing the accident and attach any relevant photos before submitting. That’s it!
After your policy number, TRN and email on file, you’ll need to tell us:
- When the accident happened (date and approximate time).
- Where the accident happened.
- The cause of the accident.
- Who and/or what was affected.
Then, we’ll gather some quick information about the involved driver.
Our goal is to have you back on the road as soon as possible, so the more details you can provide, the better chance we have of resolving your claim quickly.
PPV Insurance FAQ
Are Medical and Personal Accidents Covered Under My PPV Policy?
Yes. Drivers covered under AutoSmart’s Comprehensive Policy are covered for bodily injury.
Can I Get a PPV Insurance Quote Online?
Yes, you can. Fill out our Quick Quote form to get started.
Do PPV Drivers Receive Additional Discounts For Safe Driving?
Autosmart offers a safe driver discount of up to 55% based on the number of years without a claim.
Is Roadside Assistance Included In My PPV Insurance Policy?
Yes. All AutoSmart policyholders enjoy free roadside assistance benefits. Request a Quick Quote for Public Passenger Vehicle Insurance Are you a new PPV driver looking to get insurance so that you can get your passenger transportation business up and running? For a Quick Quote, simply fill out a short form with some basic information and we’ll let you know your estimated PPV insurance rate.